Northfields is currently recruiting two House Assistants, one female and one male for its Boarding house. The boarding house will consist of around 28 boarders both local and international.
To be a member of the Boarding House and to make a positive contribution in all areas concerning the welfare of the boarders, and to carry out a range of duties and responsibilities as required by the Housemistress/master.
To be resident within the House during term time, and to be on duty in the Boarding House at agreed key times during the day, evening and weekends to provide support for the Boarders, and to help also organise and deliver a range of activities for them.
- To be responsible to the Housemistress/master for the general welfare and personal development of all the boarders in the House and to build strong personal relationship with each of them in order to understand their pastoral and academic needs.
- To help to create an environment in the boarding house that is conducive to study and relaxation.
- To assist with the planning of House activities and to participate in such activities as required.
- To assist fully with the responsibility for the happiness, well – being, health, safety and pastoral care of the pupils in the House and to contribute to the maintenance of discipline, manners, behaviours and dress of the students.
- To be responsible for the ordering, distribution, checking and charging of the newspapers and the magazines ordered for individual pupils. To monitor parcels delivered to the students.
- To respond to the needs of parents as required by the Housemistress/master.
- To encourage the Boarders to follow the House routine, including morning and bedtime routines.
- To support the House Team with administrative and IT tasks as required.
- To work with colleagues in maintaining high standards of behaviour by pupils in the House and to deal with disciplinary problems in a firm but caring manner, and to consult the Housemistress/master in any matter of serious concern.
- To liaise with the Housemistress/master concerning the general health and life-style of the boarders, and to keep closely in touch with her/him and with the Medical Centre Staff in case of individual illness .
- To assist the House Team in ensuring that the presence of boarders is checked as required and that anyone missing is reported immediately to the Housemistress/master.
- To maintain high personal standards of prompt arrival for House responsibilities and events, and appropriate professional appearance.
- To participate in appropriate supervisory duties shared by all members of staff.
- To be prepared to provide additional cover in an emergency.
- To attend all relevant staff meetings and INSET days, and any relevant external courses recommended by the Headmaster.
The successful candidate should possess the job specification as outlined below:
- Be a graduate (or student in final years of study) with an interest in developing a teaching or pastoral career.
- Have an enthusiasm for pastoral care and supporting young people with their education.
- Enjoy the company of young people and be prepared to fully immerse yourself in the life of the House.
- Have a sense of fun and enthusiasm for organising co-curricular activities with the Boarders.
- Have the ability to communicate effectively with pupils, parents and staff in an appropriate way.
- Have the ability to work as a member of a team and accept direction.
- Be flexible and reliable.
- Have a flexible approach to working hours and be prepared to live in the residential accommodation provided during term time and provide House cover at agreed times.
- Have a willingness to participate in the full boarding life of the School and contribute to the extra-curricular activity programme.
- Have the ability to work on own initiative.
- Have a commitment to ongoing training and learning.
- Have plenty of energy and a good sense of humour!
- Fully English and French bilingual with excellent written and verbal skills
- Excellent ICT skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to relate to people on all levels with Emotional intelligence
- Excellent administrative skills
- • Competitive salary
- • Residential Accommodation
- • All meals included
Northfields reserves the right to make an appointment anytime should a suitable candidate come forward.